View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
And a dropped third strike is not always the same is not a can of corn or a runner scoring at home without a play. It can often be a very close decision.
And many times it is not. You wanted to lump them all into one. I showed you how that is not the case.

Quote:
F2 fields out of the dirt and fires to 2nd for a play on R1 who is stealing with 2 outs.

How do I know that you aren't signaling "that's nothing" on a potential interference? You better be coming out of your shoes with a no catch here so everyone knows the status of R1, including me. Otherwise I'm going to watch the play and then look back at you to know what I have to do.
Nah, if you can't see my outstretched arems and lack of an out call then I will be making your calls for you anyway. If the MLB and NCAA guys do it, why contend that you need more to do your job.

Quote:
Why should a batter or catcher have to turn their attention away from the action so you can render a decision? On a catch/no catch in the outfield, so you not verbalize either? All runners look at Mr. Strybel now, its his time to shine.
First question: Ask the MiLB, MLB and NCAA instructors and umpires. I have an 11 year old who plays and he knows to run to first on strike three swings. So do his coaches.

Second question: No. if you werbalize all of your outfield catches, good for you. I leave cans of corn alone. In fact, many of those calls don't even result in the oustretched arm out call anymore. This mechanic too is on display at MLB and NCAA ball parks across the nation.

Shining. Thanks.

Quote:
Your favorite past time, twisting up my words. I've asked you not to do it twice now. Seriously. Really.
I am hardly twisting your words. You write in absolutes. When shown that you are mistaken, you insult or pretend that the conflicting ruling doesn't apply to you. I have never once said that my way is better than yours. I find that the best umpires in the world don't verbalize the D3K any more and that's pretty good company to keep. If they want Rookie and Single A guys to do it and your ambition is to join those ranks, go for it. Call it the way you want but stop insulting those who disagree.

Quote:
As I said earlier, a dropped third strike out of the dirt is alot closer than a can of corn or a guy who is out by 15 steps.
Come on, you wrote another absolute and I showed you that there are plenty of times when we don't verbalize the call. Now you want to say I twisted your words. Sad.

Quote:
At no other point in the entire game do we not verbalize the status of a close play or decision. Not doing it here is playing with fire, plain and simple. By saying "no catch" you aren't telling the runner to run to 1st, you are telling him your decision on whether or not the pitch was caught in flight. He needs to know that so he knows whether or not he can advance to first base or not.
Ugggh. I see plenty of bangers in the bigs and collegiate ball where the call is physical only. The call at first with the dramatic pump across the body is a fine example. Plenty of outs on second base steals are done the same way. Are you saying that they don't know what to do because they didn't hear the call? Really? Really?

"They believe it is the player's responsibility to know the status of play."