View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
So you think ruling by not ruling or signaling on a close catch/no catch on a ball in flight is good umpiring? Would you do that in any other situation ever on the baseball field?
I suggest Linda McMeniman's from Inquiry to Argument. It will help you argue effectively and with logic. To answer your first question, no. I have already stated that I signal. Please don't pretend I didn't. Your second question is more complex. Yes, there are plenty of calls that aren't signalled. Cans of corn, pick offs without a tag, runners scoring at home on passed balls and the aformentioned foul fly ball that is caught. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Cause as your partner I'm going to have no idea what the hell is going on or what your decision was.
If you can't see a 6'4", 230# umpire holding his arms out at his shoulders or don't know what that means, you really should consider selling your gear.

Quote:
Neither will the players looking at you.
I don't work 11U baseball. The players I encounter know what the signal means just fine. So do the players in the pros and those who played in the CWS where that mechanic is used.

Quote:
How is anyone to know that by not doing anything, you are telling them something. They don't know if you know what you are doing or not. You have a call to make. Make it either way. Just like you are supposed to.
Seriously? Really? Do you verbalize your out calls, even the cans of corn? How will they know it's an out if you don't. You'd better get on the phone with Joe Torre right away. I saw a number of plays at first Wednesday night that simply had the umpire make a casual fist pump for an out, no verbalization. He will need to fix that so everyone will know what happened. Just like you are suppsed to do.