View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Do you all say "ball" on a pitch 1/4 outside the zone? And if you don't, do you silently call called strikes?

And I guess then there is never a need for signaling safe at any point during the entire game. If you don't call him out, then he is safe! It will be up to the defense to know to look at you during the play to signal such, silently mind you.
Hyperbole much?

1/4 what? A quarter foot? Sure. A quarter inch? Probably not. Coaches and players have accused me of missing pitches, so I say 'probably'. As for silent called strikes, stop looking silly.

Quote:
If you (or your association) want(s) to be at the top of the profession:

1) If the pitch is snared out of the dirt by the catcher on a swinging strike out, step back to give the catcher room to make his play and signal "Safe" while verbalizing "No catch" or "No" as you would any other catch/no catch decision during a game.
So, I guess the guys working the CWS and MLB are not at the top of their profession. (sigh)

Quote:
1a) If there is a question as to whether the batter swung, make that call first as you normally would do. If that means going to your partner for an appeal right away, do it. He should be already coming in with his call anyways if you don't jump on a swing right away. The emphasis of your call should be reflective of the closeness of the short hop just as you would do on any play.
I'm pretty sure that has already been stated.

Quote:
2) On a swinging strike three, if the pitch is caught in flight, but close to the dirt by the catcher, give your normal strike 3 swinging mechanic. Its okay if this is a closed fist. Verbalize "catch" or "yes" just loud enough for batter and catcher to hear so as not to show up the batter on a play he may have already given up on. You wouldn't yell "out" on a guy who is out by 15 steps at first, so don't do it here.
My raised arm and hammer will tell the players all they need to know. If you feel the need to say those things, go for it. It is ridiculous that some of you think your mechanic is the only one that should be employed. I have repeatedly stated that an umpire should do what the people paying the way want. It is arrogant to pretend that your way is better when many of the best umpires in the world don't use it.

[QUOTE]2a) If it is a called strike 3 dropped 3rd strike, give your usual called strike 3 mechanic and immediately signal safe. Then verbalize "no catch" if it is not obvious to all the ball has not been caught. *This is where people who use a closed fist "out" mechanic for called strike 3 can get in trouble*

Sure thing, coach. I'll let him know that he should run on a D3K. Got it.

My safe signal indicates that the ball was dropped. It is now obvious to all that the ball was not caught.

Quote:
3) If a strike 3 pitch goes to the screen or rebounds far away from the catcher, no need to do anything. Everyone should know what to do on plays that are obvious. You wouldn't signal "no catch" on a routine line drive base hit because you do not have a judgment concerning if a ball was in flight or not when it was controlled by a player. So don't do it here.
This has already been stated in the thread.

Quote:
3a) If it was a called strike 3, go ahead and give your A+ strike 3 mechanic because everyone is going to wonder how it could be a strike when its rolling around 30 feet from home plate.
??? I don't believe anyone here has ever written that an umpire should do this.

Quote:
All this being said, do what you want. This information is written for people who want to learn and improve their performance. The great thing in life is that you get choices. If you or your association don't agree or want to do otherwise, its your choice.
This has already been stated in the thread, numerous times now. My mechanic is not better than anyone else's. It is comfortable and I have never had a problem with it. If you can say the same, ride that pony.

I recall a similar discussion on the 'proper' mechanics for calling foul fly balls that are caught. Some maintained that JE and the best mandate that you should indicate it is foul and then the out. Others contend that the foul call is irrelevant since it is an out. That topic became heated too. I'm sorry this one has since all along I have preached that one should do what gets the job done. Umpiring is tough enough.