View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Obviously, it would have been better had one of you called the running lane violation immediately, but at least you got the call right. Or did you? If the ball hit the runner in the foot 3 or 4 strides from 1B, that doesn't sound like a "quality throw." On the other hand, I don't know that Fed or ASA has, like OBR, defined this rule so thoroughly as to take into account the "quality" of the throw. Or maybe the low throw was still on line and might have been scooped by F3.

Imagine the mess had you called the running lane violation and then decided to reverse yourselves. In your case, if you weren't sure, better to let the play happen and then decide whether there had been a violation.

In doing ASA, I don't call the lane violation unless the runner interferes with the fielder taking a "quality" throw. I don't see any other way to call it, but is that incorrect?
Speaking ASA.

Remember, a lane violation involves the defender receiving a thrown ball at 1B. It's not who throws it, but who is receiving it. Just being out of the lane doesn't make the runner out. If the umpire judges that the defender did not have a shot at catching this low throw, it is very possible that there was no violation.