View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Simple: that when the front of a player's frame falls on the ball away from anybody else, you call it dead and in his possession at that point. It'll give you a clearer ruling and require less distortion of the game than what you'd get in almost all cases of requiring something more. Once in a great while the ball will squirt far out and result in uncontested possession somewhere else, but usually you'll just wind up playing another game with rules like that of oncelost77, or anything else that isn't strictly football.
I didn't take a shot at you, so don't take one at me. I played high school and college ball and currently ref high school and college ball. I also coach a 12yr old team. It seems by your comments that you don't understand strictly football and you want to bend the rules to support your agenda. Did you lose a game that hinged on this issue?

What about receiver downfield blocking? The whistle blows but he stays on his block another second, do I flag him for playing after the whistle? What about coaches trying to influence a call or questioning our calls? Does that warrant a flag everytime? The rule book calls for it. How is not going for the ball under a pile, not strictly football? What sport do you play? Watch Friday night, Saturday or Sunday football and you will see what I am talking about.

So, I guess you are advocating that if we see someone close to or kinda has it secured, to shut it down and give it to him. If a player is on a ball and I don't see it moving, regardless of location of opposing players, I blow it dead and give it to him. I referenced a pile up, didn't I? In my case, I don't see clear possession but there is a RB that fumbled it on the bottom. Do I say, well he was the closest to it when the pile up happened, offense's ball?

This forum, not just this thread, has some of the most stubborn, catty people I have ever seen. We can disagree without pointing fingers or making statements that we can't back up. Dead horse officially beaten, let's move on and discuss politics! It is safer. This forum strikes me as a site that caters to those that want to argue, not debate, but argue.