View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with most of your thoughts Mike, however, I believe my getting down lower to see the play better at first is more of a personal adaptation of the mechanics, rather than a blatant betrayal. I can see the play better, the foot of the 1st baseman, etc and for some reason, I don't feel comfortable being in the upright ASA mechanic position.
Now, I also agree with your comments that you can get burned on an overthrow to first if you are down, as you need to get up and follow the runner to make a call at second. However, I have never had a problem with this before. I don't want this to sound arrogant, but be it as it may, I'm not the typical 50 year old smoker who weighs 230 pounds trying to hustle to keep up with the players. I am a 30 year old very fit ex division one football player and almost all of the players couldn't beat me to the play whether I was down or not.
I have turned down many a state tournaments out of town, but done many in town and always have been given praise. My whole point is that it baffles me an association would try to fine a good umpire, while they let the guy who looks terrible, with one bum knee who doesn't know the game well continue to work just because he is "doing his best". That is a good way in my eyes to loose good people and not give the players what they deserve.
Maybe I'm just on the soapbox tonight, but I have worked NSA and NFHS and never had this problem. By the way, the UIC is not doing any games this year, but he not the sharpest pencil in the drawer to run the organization either. It's nothing but a sympathy/popularity vote.