View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Dress, timeliness and hustle are very important. However, arrogance is something which certainly doesn't help.

Maybe you are not aware of this, but you don't even have to be an umpire to be a UIC in many states, metros or regions. There is a big difference between running an organization and a ball game.

I'm not big on fining folks for mechanics, but I certainly have a problem when you knowingly ignore the prescribed mechanics while patting yourself on the back.

The association is ASA, the teams are ASA, you are probably playing by ASA rules and wearing an ASA uniform and accepting money for providing an ASA game. So, what's your problem with providing the service for which they are paying?

There is a reason ASA doesn't want umpires to move to a less-than-mobile position. One thing is that is looks lazy, no better than your board member not getting out from the plate. It is also a concern since if there is a misplay at 1B, it is not a far reach for the runner to veer in your direction, which means that you will need to concentrate on getting out of the way while not covering a possible play at 2B. It is not impossible, I have seen it happen.

Sorry, but you are not willing to work the way they want you to, I don't believe you should be taking their money?