Thread: 5A vs. smaller?
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 08:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Here in Louisiana the classes are C, B, 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, with 5A, of course being the largest. The highest class I personally have called is 2A. Last night I attended a 5A quarterfinal, the first 5A game I have seen in several years. LHSAA does not seed the tournament, so even though this was a quarterfinal, it was between the 1 and 2 ranked teams in the state. It lived up to its billing, nip and tuck all the way, and the winning shot made with a second or two left. The startling part to me was the way the game was called. I saw it as good and consistent, but more of a college, or even NBA style than what I am accustomed to. This game had more blocked shots with fewer fouls called than I ever recall seeing, with several shooters apparently knocked to the floor with no call. Lots of hand checking. No carrying. etc. The common thread was the way the game ended. The losing coach said on TV that the game winner was made on an obvious travel. I agreed, but it was the same play which had been allowed all night on both ends, the old three-beat jump stop. Do others see a huge difference from the small classes to the large, not only in the talent level but also in the officiating?

Lonesome Dove