View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 22, 2011, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
King, I agree with you for the most part. I guess it is a matter of perspective concerning touches. S1 attacks a ball. R5 goes up to block. The ball lands out of bounds. S1 claims a touch occurred but you didn't see R5 touch the ball. I am assuming most officials would call that out since we didn't see the touch and for the sake of this argument, neither did your partner. Even though S1 is claiming there is a touch, I assume most of us would call that out of bounds on S1. I am having a hard time figuring out why officials use a different standard on balls hitting top of the net. S1 attacks a ball. R5 goes up to block. The ball hits the top of the net. You nor your partner see a touch. Ball either lands out of bounds on side S (and S1 is claiming there was a touch) or S1 plays the ball again. Most of the balls in this situation are close calls. Why in the first scenario do most of us call it out but in the second scenario some officials use the if I am not sure if there was a touch, I let play go on?
I hate encountering these situations, especially if there's no clear view of who contacted the ball.

Each of these is a little different in scenario. I'll paint out why, and if I miscue any of the scenarios that you mention, just let me know.
---------------------

S3 goes to attack the ball and R4 comes up to block. The ball lands out of bounds on team R's side (which side is also pretty important), though neither referee's are positive that a touch caused the ball to go out of bounds.

-- This falls in line with what I mentioned above. Giving the potential fault team the benefit of the doubt. There are situations where it'll go out off of a touch, or just off the net. If you see it go off the touch, then fault on team R, point team S. If you don't, you have to assume there was no fault committed by team R, and the actual error was with team S due to it going out of bounds. Fault on team S, point team R.

What's important in this situation as the referee is to be quick and decisive with your result, whether it's incorrect, or correct. If you blow your whistle to signal "dead ball", then you look to your partner for help, that shows a sign of uncertainty. There are scenarios where your partner is just as clueless as you are, so you don't have any help. You go by what you see. With these situations, I like to signal the player at fault since these are close. I saw it go out because of the Team S hitter, so I signal "Out", point at the team S hitter with an open hand, and then award the point to team R. If you're quick in making your signal, you'll rarely have any disagreement. The quicker you are, the more you demonstrate your confidence in the call, and that is something everyone can see. Don't ever let anyone but your partner influence your decisions on calls. This is why it helps if you make your decision quickly - no time for disagreements. You go by only what you and your partner sees, and if by chance that's nothing, you go with the obvious.

Now, taking into account your question, simple answer is because the ball isn't dead yet. In the situation where the team continues to play the ball, the ball is still live since there was no fault whistled. In the situation where the ball lands out of bounds, a fault has now been committed since it hit the floor, so the play HAS to be stopped. Now it's up to you to determine the cause of that fault. With the opposite situation, you have not positively and clearly identified a fault as you did with the ball contacting the floor. Since you're giving the team the benefit of the doubt, there's no reason to blow your whistle, so play continues until the next identified fault occurs (double, lift, ball in, etc).

When I'm the R1, what I usually do to help minimize dispute on the tough "4 calls" is this. If it obviously rebounds off the block and the team continues to play it, then I won't signal anything. Same situation, and all the players on the blocking team are now yelling "NO TOUCH" in the middle of the rally; if I'm letting play continue because of what I've seen to be a rebounded ball off of the block, while watching the rally continue, signal "touch" and pointing to the player that touched the ball, allowing the rally to continue without whistling "4 contacts." This also helps minimize confusion and dispute, especially on those that no one can see but you as the referee. If it's one of those (one's you can't really see; general audience), I'll usually signal "touch" right away, indicating the player on the blocking team and continuing to watch the rally for the next fault that occurs.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Last edited by Antonio.King; Thu Sep 22, 2011 at 01:59pm.