View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 21, 2011, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Your reactions were correct. Another instance where a good prematch discussion helps.

When I'm the R1, I make sure to cover this topic. My usual discussion goes as follows: "For 4 contacts, we'll obvious work together. If it's closest to me I'll usually defer to my judgement. If it's on your side, I'll look to you if its in question. If you give me something, I'll go with it. If not, I'll most likely play on."

I prefer this method as the R1, especially since it caters to who's side the potential fault is closer to. It gives you both equal viewing opportunity and an equal amount of judgement.

As the R2, in the situation you mentioned, I would do the same: just bite the call and prepare to cover. Like I mentioned in the last thread, there are certain verbiages you can defer to to keep yourself out of the call. I've had to deal with this situation before.

The R1 called "4 hits" against the team on my right. The "fault" was on my side, so I had the better view. I saw it clearly touch the block, the team it was against clearly saw it hit the block, and even the team it was for knew it hit them. The coach approached me for an explanation, and in less than 10 words, my exchange was "My partner had it off the net."

If it were some extreme game changer, I'd ask to be invited across via whatever signal was discussed in the prematch and confidently say, "I'm 100% positive the block contacted that hit." Then it just lays with the R1. If he chooses to accept it, replay. If he chooses to reject it, go back and resume play.

Sometimes, coaches will approach you and ask what the result of the discussion was, and you can reply something along the lines of, "I thought there might've been a touch, but my partner clearly saw it off the net." As I was taught, it's not always about being right. It's more so about arriving at a mutual decision and continuing, and saving discussion for errors for the debrief.