View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 20, 2011, 05:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
You're reading into my post an arrogance that was not there.
Interesting, you read into other's posts things you know nothing about. I guess this does not work when people take your words and take from it what they like.

Quote:
Perhaps my error was to assume he was an official ... but I did (given the name REFUMPIRE, and given that this is a website for officials, I don't think that is THAT bad of an assumption).

I guess I just tire of the laziness I see here. If an official needed the answer to that question, there's this great book he can go to to find out the answer. People learning one little tidbit by having people answer such questions - and learn a lot more by finding the answer themselves. (And I think you all know that). Maybe I was brusquer than I needed to be - but that was where my thought process was when posting.
OK, but this is a discussion board, people tend to ask questions that seem elementary to many of us that is what happen here. This is not a proving ground for everyone's knowledge. And I agree people should try to find out things, but often it is they do not know where to look. I will in about an hour go to a meeting where rules will be discussed and still we will talk after the meeting about situations and circumstances and even disagree until someone pulls out the rulebook. And then we still might not agree because the rules are not always clear in every situation and we need to get a ruling or interpretation from our higher-ups to tell us what should be done. Not everyone is a rules maven.

Quote:
You all are acting as if I'm the first person ever who saw a ridiculously simple question like this one and told the poster to look it up. Rich even alludes to it in his response - that if asked this question at a meeting he'd steer the person toward the book. Obviously ... he'd do it nicer than I did... but the idea is the same even if the manner isn't.
No you are not the only one. And I can admit I have probably done this over the 10 years of time I have been here as well, but I have learned teaching younger officials that they do not know everything or that fans do not know much of anything either. And if he came here accusing the officials of screwing up then that is one thing, but it was just a question.

Peace