View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Another issue you run into when blowing your whistle as the R2 for '4 contacts' is just that; the determination of illegal number of contacts does not fall under the responsibility of the R2, but the R1.

The ONLY times an R2 is allowed to blow their whistle to end a play:

- Net violation
- Illegal Alignment
- Center line Violation
- Illegal Attacks
- Illegal Blocks
- Balls that hit the floor (though you have to let your partner get the first crack at it. If they don't, then you can call it)

That being said, the R2 is not authorized by the rules to make that call. Coaches, who know the rules in and out, will surely belt "that's not your call to make" (I've seen this happen before). This is in fact protestable if you were to blow your whistle on said call as the R2.

If it were a heated game, and I were the coach that you called that against, I would challenge you with a protest, knowing the R2 doesn't have authority to call that. You can suggest it to the R1, but you can't end the play under that authority.

If I were the R1, I'd have to call you over and explain that blowing your whistle on that type of play isn't the proper procedure, then have to issue a replay. Then, as the R2, you'd have to go explain to the coaches that you had an inadvertent whistle.

More reasons to hold your whistle; save your own butt.