Thread: sensitive issue
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2000, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Definitely a sensitive subject, society wide, not just in officiating. I think that basketball creates some very different situations, as jrut points out. Many teams that are exclusively, or almost exclusively black. There is also a whole different structure of teams that are female, creating a division of the genders that doesn't occur in the workplace. As long as the criteria remain what jrut says, GOOD official, there is bound to be some adjusting of demographics in officiating, largely due to the fact that officiating has been traditionally a white male profession with under representation by females and minorities. As a white male, I face that same adjustment process at times.

I serve in the Navy, a traditional bastion of white male leadership. Promotion boards must, by rule, list the highest scoring female that was not promoted as well as the highest scoring minority. The boards have never had to defend their choice not to select me. I accept it as a fact of life, and go on trying to do my best and get ahead where I can. Never had a problem with succeeding, or being allowed to succeed. Made E-7 on my second board and E-8 on my first. I don't worry about anything other than what I can control.

By the way, with my girls AAU team, given a choice between a male or female to serve as a professional trainer, the female gets the call every time. I know a couple of outstanding women trainers that have played at high levels one a former UCONN starter. I want them on the court with my girls so that the girls can see the future in front of them. Had one female official this weekend as well, and I was ecstatic because my girls rarely see that. Wish they had more. I want my girls to have positive female role models.