Thread: LLWS and replay
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 10, 2011, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by THoy View Post
I may also feel the same way to a certain extent, but rather than ripping the man I would attempt to find a solution. Perhaps candidates who apply for a Series with a DA endorsement should be evaluted before being selected. After the evaluation the candidate is recommended to a training before they can move forward or upward. Another suggestion may be that all candidate attend a required training after being recommended. If the candidate fails to demonstrate an ability to preform than more training is prescribed. Either way a volunteer in the program deserves a chance at a series.

A solution based approach is certainly a more positive than criticizing the entire system along with individuals. And as stated before talent and experience will be tested in these WS environments. Umpires miss calls when in perfect position for whatever the reason. I think what I enjoyed most about my particular experience was the absense of a ultra competitive environment among the group. We were a unit that hung out together after the games. No one sat around picking other guys apart. It was a group of geniune individuals who love the game and the craft. I know I have had a great deal more training than other guys not to mention experience, however it does not permit me to trash other umpires in the name of the profession.
You missed what I was trying to say, completetely. I'm not "ripping" John Hosler. And I thought I made that clear. What I'm "criticizing" (large difference), are his abilities on the diamond. You're looking at this with blinders on if you're unable to see that there are/were hundreds (maybe thousands) of other umpires just as dedicated to the LL program who would have been better suited for calling games on national television. And the criticism (ripping) of the LLWS umpire selection process that comes around each year with the event, is based largely in part on volunteers such as John Hosler being given a spot in Williamsport.

Tim.