Thread: LLWS and replay
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 09, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
While I understand Mr. Hoy's post, I'm afraid I disagree with it. Some umpires simply do not have the necessary talent and ability and should not ever be assigned a WS event. An umpire under the current system must get a recommendation at a regional to move on to the next level. In my experience, that recommendation is little more than a rubber stamp.

For some, a state tournament should be a crowning achievement. For others, a Regional. For a few, the LLWS. There are a ton of umpires who work LL in this country. Only a couple get to go each year from a particular region. I'd prefer to see demonstrated umpiring ability be considered at least as much as volunteerism at the WS level.
I may also feel the same way to a certain extent, but rather than ripping the man I would attempt to find a solution. Perhaps candidates who apply for a Series with a DA endorsement should be evaluted before being selected. After the evaluation the candidate is recommended to a training before they can move forward or upward. Another suggestion may be that all candidate attend a required training after being recommended. If the candidate fails to demonstrate an ability to preform than more training is prescribed. Either way a volunteer in the program deserves a chance at a series.

A solution based approach is certainly a more positive than criticizing the entire system along with individuals. And as stated before talent and experience will be tested in these WS environments. Umpires miss calls when in perfect position for whatever the reason. I think what I enjoyed most about my particular experience was the absense of a ultra competitive environment among the group. We were a unit that hung out together after the games. No one sat around picking other guys apart. It was a group of geniune individuals who love the game and the craft. I know I have had a great deal more training than other guys not to mention experience, however it does not permit me to trash other umpires in the name of the profession.