Thread: sensitive issue
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 26, 2000, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I would just like to hear some opinions on a situation that is currently a part of the basketball officiating world in my area. By discussing this I mean no offense to anyone, nor does this situation affect me personally at this time. This is not a post in anger.

It is known in the state JuCo ranks that "white guys are a dime a dozen". I quote that because it came from a commissioner of a decent sized conference. At the camps, meetings, etc., this opinion is well known. The last JuCo tryout that was held, all officials that were picked up were black males or females. The reason for this is to get more of a mix in the officiating business. I definitely can see their point with this reasoning. My problem with this is, are the best officials getting promoted? Another question that concerns me is, what does this say to the up and coming official (myself) about staying persistent and working towards the JuCo goal?

Please don't respond to this with "get over it" type replies. I'm genuinely curious to know if this is an issue in all areas or am I a part of a unique situation.

Thanks for your thoughts...