View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Started at age 13, tried to do it left-handed and just had the worst time trying to get it to work without losing my hat. Finally gave up, even with all the vets telling me to do it right. Now, it's off and in front of my body quickly enough that virtually no one notices. The only two people who have noticed in the past seven years: KR and EA. KR demanded I fix it, EA was impressed how quickly it gets to the left hand and had no problem with it.

So now the question is, why exactly does it have to come off in the left hand? I am certainly aware of the 'signal with the right hand 'argument and the tradition that goes along with it. Yet, in my 27 years, I have never come close to an instance where removing it with my right has led to anything negative. In fact, I would argue for it to be a problem you have to either 1- leave it in the right hand or 2- be making a signal so quickly that you probably rushed the call. Both of these are easily remedied.

Ultimately, I don't see why there is all the fuss. When I train umpires, I suggest that the preferred method is to use the left hand, I make them aware of the possible kickback of being caught by the wrong person when using the right hand, and I provide the context for getting the mask to the left hand immediately after it is removed. Curious to hear others opinions...