View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not assuming anything, it is the rule.

And that is?

Bat ring? Talk about outdated equipment. But why don't you take this out of context? My statement was a response to a comment of manufacturing. And yes, do you know how many times an umpire would be asked during the game to check a bat? And just who is going to train all these umpires what to look for once they take the end cap off? Nope, just have the bat made properly and there is no issue. BTW, trusting manufacturers to do things right? How did that recertification of bats process work out?

Here's a thought. I know this is contrary to the standard American laziness, but how about just making it right the first time and not having to worry about it down the road?

There have been space-age adhesives around for years. There is absolutely no excuse for the production of a substandard piece of equipment.

See response above. Umpires should not have to be babysitters for lazy manufacturers and cheating players. We are there to umpire a ball game. Checking equipment is not a problem, but nor does it provide absolution. IOW, it is basically a courtesy.

I'd just rather go to a low-compression 14" ball and let them use anything they can find to hit the damn thing.
i appreciate your responses to not only this thread but to all the threads, its obvious you have a wealth of knowledge.

but you did say that if the cap comes off a bat, that it "clearly suggests there has been an attempt to alter the bat."

i agree there definitely could be a better way to manufacture the bats, but companies dont do whats the best, they do whats the most profitable.

and btw, just last spring i purchased a brush that has a bat ring built in from my ASA office.

very similar to this one

Sport About Equipment : Allstar Umpire Plate Brush and Bat Ring PB3 [PB3] - $8.99

please dont fault me for buying what was stocked in my local ASA office.