View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That's fine, but it isn't the umpire's problem. That is purely a issue between the consumer and manufacturer.
flat out, i dont understand why anyone would think EVERY time an end cap comes off its bc the player did something to it. IMO, this isnt even debatable.

Quote:
What were you going to do if you found evidence there was an issue with the bat?
apply the appropriate ruling

Quote:
Why would you care? Do you know how many times you would be asked to check this bat or that? I'm there to umpire a ball game, not be a hall monitor for bats.
before your game, arent you supposed to check and see if the bats are ASA certified, if they fit in the bat ring, if they dont show dents or excessive wear, if they are rattling? why would you care about those things but not care if a bat was shaved? i dont understand your point

Quote:

A cap for a cap? If they cannot/do not make one secure, what makes you think the second will be?
its sorta like a backup fail safe (superfluous on purpose) in case the glue comes undone the cap doesnt come off bc theres a piece of material also holding the cap on, or if someone wants to take the cap off, they would have to jimmy with this external cover and then jimmy with the actual cap.

its sorta like having the plastic cases around a fire alarm in a public building. first you have to open of the case, then pull the alarm. having the case prevents an accidental pull. having a cover on the endcap prevents someone from removing the cap without it being pretty f'n obvious, even to the untrained eye.

Quote:
If you really want to alleviate the situation, get rid of the end cap, period. Make them find a way to produce a bat that doesn't need and end cap.
remind me again what your response to my suggestion that endcaps be easily removable so one can check easily if a bat is shaved? if you dont want to hall monitor bats, why would you want to have bats that are easily "hall monitored"