View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
I don't panic either.......you living in LA know that is only counter productive.......
A Yankee with a non-Caucasian, non-citizen military wife! Yeah, that went over will in the mid-70's

Quote:
But....I do know Mike.....when storms downgrade......those damn outer rain bands can be as bad as anything..........I know as small as a state as DE.....you can't be too far inland.....The first death attributed to Hurricane Alicia in 1983 was in Dallas......300 miles from the coast.

I am fairly prepared for strong winds 100+ (been through several with 80+ winds (nobody here gets exicted about them), another with 110, one with 125 and another with 135 mph/although I was a youngster).......but 15-25 inches of rain will really screw you around.

I lost a roof (most tabs gone) with a 90 mph storm......damn near ripped the hood off of my pickup truck.......the hood latch was faulty.......and a storage building got destroyed by a tree falling on it.....funny that the insurance adjuster never mentioned that I had a separate policy on that building and I got squat because I was too young/dumb and naive to ask more questions.......lol. I probably could have sued and won that one......but again.....young/naive/dumb.......

I had some damage during Ike.......110 mph......my Mom did not have a single tab lift on her roof 2 miles away and had no damage other than trees......I had a lot of screen porch damage and some damage to a garage (along with wind leaks).......lost a big pecan and ash (which I should have already cut down)......my back porch got crunched and I was not able to go out to the back yard through that door for awhile.......and was without power for about three weeks. And I also lost my cat.

I cleaned out my fridge and freezers and had some good bbq's in my moms neighborhood for awhile......luckily, we had unseasonably cool weather after Ike and ice was plentiful from FEMA......

I just hope y'all be careful up there.......

Joel

Been raining and windy all day. Starting to pick up now. All furniture stacked tied/weighted neatly and in a manner which makes it unlikely the wind will affect it. Remove all gutter covers and anything loose around the house or yard.

Dog, Nola, just came in from doing about 50 laps around the back yard like some wild animal in speed.

My only things that bother me are the Chicken Littles that go into an end-of-the-world mode and just don't use their head and that includes the government folks that don't hesitate to push the panic button, often way too early, without thinking of unnecessary and stressful effects such action cause.