View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Over the last 2 weeks I have had games with interesting missed rim on FT situations.

HS game, loser goes home, I'm L on FTs, A1 puts the second shot up and it comes almost straight down. I'm guessing the ball missed but there's no whistle when A2 grabs the ball and gets fouled on the layup which went in. Coach B can hardly contain himself "He missed! The FT missed!" Partner says nope, grazed the rim, but the coach is turning red, I mean I really thought the guy's heart was about to explode. After reporting the foul I spoke with him a few minutes, he wasn't happy but he calmed down. If I would have blown the whistle on my gut feel that the ball missed the game would have gone into the toilet. No question about that.

Travel league game, below 8th grade, no big deal but again loser goes home. Good game for this level, last minute, A up by 1 and shooting FTs. This time I'm T when the ball grazes the rim on the final FT and L blows the whistle for a rim violation. Defense got the rebound anyway so I let it go, but if the offense had gotten the ball or if the ball was still loose I would have had to change his call. Later he told me he wasn't ball watching, he blew the whistle (and the call) because he "thought" the ball missed the rim.