View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
IMO, mind you this is based on nothing more than MY interpretation of the rules, if you announce an the runner is awarded home and they dont touch home, i dont see how its not abandonment. did the runner make an attempt to touch home? no, did the runner go to/stay in the dugout? yes. unless im missing something, why is that not abandonment?

mbcrowder, can you please explain a situation where you would call abandonment? thanks
Sure. 2 outs. Ball hit in the infield, safe at first but ball thrown to first anyway. Girl turns to the left (but is not making any effort to go to 2nd). All the idiots on the field yell to tag her, F3 tags her. BU rules safe but no one pays attention. F3 rolls the ball to the circle, defense leaves the field. BR heads to right field and someone brings her a glove.

In that sitch, I'd have abandonment (and likely, in this case, a very quiet one).

Basically - to me, if you have less than 2 outs, then in any case where you might think abandonment, you're going to get a LBR once the pitcher gets the ball anyway. Abandonment can happen in baseball more than softball, because for the most part, there's no real rule keeping the runners on the bases after the ball is sent to the pitcher. I've never actually had an abandonment call in softball - but can conceive of it in the case of there being 2 outs and the whole world thinks there are 3.

West Houston Mike