View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Totally agree on this play. But at some point it's obvious enough that you don't need an appeal, right? Runner at third, catch and carry situation. Dead ball, you've got home. Goes straight to the dugout. How exactly should one handle that?
And if I'm right that this doesn't require an appeal, then where is the line.
Sorry, I don't have abandonment on that, either. Not truly different than a runner awarded third that cuts across the infield without touching second. Need an appeal, or the run scores as awarded.

"to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert". In other words, giving up, I know (or think) I'm out. Not to be confused with I missed a base, something happened (like an injury) where I was distracted without touching the base, or (in your example) I didn't think I still had to touch that base since you awarded it.

One NFHS case example talks about a runner who over-runs first base, starts toward second, but "gives up" when a defensive player is chasing. Keep that thought process of "giving up" in your head, and runners that miss bases without that simply missed bases; even if the base they miss is home and they enter the team area.