Thread: Violation?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 12:29pm
Administrator

I do not have my rules books in front of me but let me forge ahead anyway.

By definition, all throw-ins are designated spot throw-ins and the team making the throw-in is allowed to only have the thrower on the out-of-bounds side of the boundary line where the throw-in is being made; no other players from the team making the throw-in are allowed to be out-of-bounds along the boudary line where the throw-in is being made. The designated spot is three feet wide and is as deep as a wall behind the player. (That means an official should not let a player run backwards thru and open door along the wall while making the throw-in, that is not the intent of the rule.)

BUT, there is one exception to this definition. When the throw-in is the result of a team making a field goal or free throw or for being awarded points, such as for basket interference or goaltending. The exception allows the thrower to move along the end line and for the entire team to be on the out-of-bounds side of the end line during the throw-in. I am going to hate myself for saying this but think of the thrower's teammates who are out-of-bounds with along the end line as a clone of the thrower. Or when A1 and A2 are both on the out-of-bounds side of the endline, they are to be treated as one player and the end line from sideline to sideline is to be treated as the designated spot. If one looks at the type of throw-in that has been discussed in this thread as I have described it in the previous sentence, it is easy to apply the rules to the throw-in.

Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio