View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
So it IS an English test. There are 'always' exceptions. Whether they may be used or shall be used depends upon what exception you use. More often then not my first response to the questions are: It depends. Why I say there are some 'gotcha' questions is simply because there are some gotcha questions. Not all of them are but the ones that are vaguely worded and incomplete and open ended scream of 'gotcha'. I'm not saying testing is a bad thing, just how they are asked. A person may know the rules and call great game but because they misread a few questions they are going to be eliminated from 'better' games is where I have issues.
Calling it an English test is nothing more than an excuse for not knowing the rule.

If it seems vague, don't read anything into it...think the basic case, not what if something else unstated occurred. If you do, you're making it harder than it is supposed to be.

And missing a "few" questions is not going to cost anyone a game. Missing several questions might. Even if there are a few bad questions, that shouldn't be enough to make a meaningful diference...the rest of the officals should have trouble too..

Getting a 90+ or even 95 is not difficult. I know several people who are good officials who get that or better every year. The ones that get a 70 that appear to be a good official may be when everything goes smoothly but do you really want them out there when the less common stuff occurs. Will they know what to do? I know people like that...they just make stuff up....right or wrong. And that only causes problems.