View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't think that is true. IMO, it isn't that the parents don't know, it is that many don't want to. Just like getting them to wear face masks on batting helmets or on the field. As long as they can dump responsibility on someone else and maintain the "I'm your friend" facade.
Ugh... Tell me about it. Don't get me wrong, I have a good relationship with my mother. However, she was a mother first and a friend second. If I got out of line, she made sure I knew it.

And I don't want to armchair quarterback parents too much, but when I see certain styles of parenting that trouble me as a former psych major, I have to speak up. Some kids are downright rotten. They expect everything to be handed to them, they never hear the word "no," and they are downright disrespectful towards adults. I used to work in a public school district, and seeing these kids drove me nuts. I had to quit.

Quote:
Even at the college level and that is depressing.
And when I worked at a local, unnamed university that belongs to the ACC, I saw the same thing. Kids don't know how to spell. Kids don't know college-level math.

Quote:
And how do they handle failure or disappointment? Sometimes I have to wonder if that may not have an effect on youth and young adults who give up and turn to suicide as an alternative.
I don't know if I'd go that far (having had 3 friends or acquaintances who have committed suicide), but it does affect how resilient a person becomes later in life.

Quote:
Here is that "perception" word again. The word "church" doesn't appear in the constitution and the word "religion" only appears once as it pertains to the government not establishing one and insuring the freedom to express one's belief.
As an atheist, I couldn't care less about a town wanting to put up a Christmas tree. Doesn't bother me in the least. It's a nice time of year, and is a good reminder to call your mother and be nice to your neighbor. What's so damn harmful about that?

Quote:
You are really working hard to get on my good side, aren't you
If that was my intent, I would've ranted against background checks. Thought about it...

Quote:
And it starts at the big building in DC and I'm not talking about the one across from Lafayette Square.
Oprah moved to DC?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.