View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
i never understood why softball went out of their way to add an extra step in describing the runners by using "RX is on Y base" when you could just use the baseball way and simply say "RX" where X is the base they are on. in case i didnt now write that well, why make the description of the runners longer and potentially more confusing. 1st and 3rd sounds a lot easy and better saying "R1 R3" than saying "R1 on thirdbase and R2 on firstbase"
By designating a player by the manner in which they participated in the game/inning you can have a continual scenario without changing a player's designation.

In baseball, if bases are loaded and each runner advances a base, R2 is now R3, R1 is R2 and the BR which was the B is now R1. In softball, B4 becomes a BR and then is R4. This indicates that R4 was the 4th batter of that inning and no matter what happens, will be designated by the "4" throughout the inning.

It also make sense that one comes before two, two comes before three, etc.

I find this much easier to follow when going through scenarios.