View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
Quote:
An official that won't make a call just because it wasn't in his "primary" needs to consider the disservice they are doing to the game. Call what you see - don't pick and choose.

MTD is right, the lead official had no business making the call. What is he doing looking UP? He's supposed to be watching rebounding activity! He's lucky one of the rebounders didn't get bodychecked to the floor. What then? He missed it because he's too busy ball-hawking, and his partner probably missed it too, as he's watching the ball.

No one is disputing the notion that if you see an obvious, hard foul that your partner misses, that calling it is the right thing to do. But when it comes to specific situations like FT's, primary areas of responsibility exist so the officials can properly administer the game, and cover all possibilities adequately.

I also agree that if the whistle went before anyone had possession, they should have went AP.

Bad time for that official to have a brain-cramp, IMHO.