View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 09:55pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RUBLIND?
Ok a friend had this problem... Shooter is at the FT line, his team down by 2, 3 sec left, on his 2nd shot he throws ball of of the backboard and skins the rim, underneath official blows whistle that it didn't hit rim, but it did, in the meantime it was perfect the shooter got the ball back. After a discussion they award ball to team that was shooting and had possesion of the ball. They could have went alternate possession which I thought would be right which was to other team. They were reported to the state and the state agreed with the call?? Oh, it was a district final and the team hit a 3 to win!! What do you think?? Also clarify this for me, guy loses ball going through lane and trips accidently over opp teams leg, he wants the foul. No call right? What if he had the ball and defender was set and he tripped? Thank you, first time on here.

I am only address the free throw situation because the second situation is a you had to be there situation.

I am going to speculate that this was a two-man crew. But it really does not matter whether it was a two-person or three-person crew, the Lead official had no business looking up at the rim, let alone making the call. The Trail stepped in made the right decision to award the ball to the team shooting the free throw.

Why is this the correct thing to do, even though the rules book says that an official should call any infraction he sees? An officiating crew is a team. Each member of the team has to do is job for the crew to work together smoothly. This is one of the few times that when an official leaves his primary to make a call that he has no business making and he blows the call, the official who has the primary area has to take care of business and correct the mistake.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio