View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 02:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I hate to admit this, but the truth is that time is catching up with me and I'm not as quick on the bases as I once was. When working two man with no one on base, I'm not getting to where I feel I need to be when I have to take a runner into 3rd base. With a ball hit to deep right, I used to be able to get inside and pivot quickly enough to pick up the ball, see the runner touch first, and slide with the runner to a spot close to the cut out at third to set to make the call. I could get the right angle and not ever get straightlined.

Now, I'm not getting deep enough and have set myself up to get straightlined a number of times. I need some advice as to what is the best spot to strive to get to when you know you're no longer able to get to where you've been accustomed to getting. I don't know if making a shallower pivot is the answer, or making the same pivot and adjusting my line toward the third base line is the way to go. I know I'm not the only one here that has had to make adjustments like this over time.

Tim.

Carl "Papa C" Childress, Editor-in-Chief of Officiating.com believes in umpiring mechanics of the 21st Century. You might want to experiment is starting in the B position even with no one on 1B.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio