View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 19, 2011, 01:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I hate to admit this, but the truth is that time is catching up with me and I'm not as quick on the bases as I once was. When working two man with no one on base, I'm not getting to where I feel I need to be when I have to take a runner into 3rd base. With a ball hit to deep right, I used to be able to get inside and pivot quickly enough to pick up the ball, see the runner touch first, and slide with the runner to a spot close to the cut out at third to set to make the call. I could get the right angle and not ever get straightlined.

Now, I'm not getting deep enough and have set myself up to get straightlined a number of times. I need some advice as to what is the best spot to strive to get to when you know you're no longer able to get to where you've been accustomed to getting. I don't know if making a shallower pivot is the answer, or making the same pivot and adjusting my line toward the third base line is the way to go. I know I'm not the only one here that has had to make adjustments like this over time.

Tim.
Hey there good friend, long time no hear!

Just what T and everyone else said.

In our preseason clinic this year, we were taking turns on the bases in a scrimmage game. I was hanging around the first base coaches box with 3 other umps waiting to take my turn, BSing with them and cutting up, and generally not paying attention. Suddenly it was my turn to go. So I jump on the line and the first pitch is a gapper. Since I had not been paying close attention, I did not realize that the batter who hit the ball was the leadoff hitter, and was he ever quick! As I was running in to make my pretty little pirouette pivot, I realize I was screwed, as the BR was rounding the base before I was ready to pivot. I rushed my pivot, then tried to catch up. My back went out on me and I nearly fell, to everyone's amusement, and I managed to see the play from the a$$-end of the runner as he slid in. Then I proceeded to kick the call on top of that by banging him out, only to be told by everybody there that he was quite safe in reality.

Since then, I only pivot when the runner is s-l-o-w. Otherwise I do the AAA glance and right turn.

PM me if you ever get the chance, buddy.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25