View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwump View Post
BSump16 says:

"This is where experience comes into play and was why I started this thread - to see what other ump's experience had to offer. I think you have to be at least aware of how your call will be perceived and how it will effect game management. For what it's worth, in the initial sitch I called the B/R out. Not a peep from anyone (except for a questioning look from the B/R) and the game proceeded smoothly."

Exactly as I suspected. I get tired of those who believe in absolutes, as if there is only black and white and no grey.

Lets add to the OP. Lets suppose its the bottom of the 4th and the HT is winning 20-0. VT has no chance and everyone knoes it (VT knows as well). You need 6 outs and everyone goes home. Its two out and you have the play as described. No one sees the missed tag but you! If I'm PU and you call safe. We are going to have a talk afterwords.

Umpiring is an art, not a science. I do HS games often where the teams are sorely mis-matched. No contest here, not even close. The coaches and players know that the zone is going to change with the score. If its 18-0 after three innings, am I going to call a ball a stike...you better believe it! No one says a word.

Its not just ball/strikes, safe/outs , and fair/fouls. Its game management.

Everyone on this board knows what I am talking about, dont pretend you dont.

Mike C
There will be calls that every umpire makes during a season that we call incorrectly because for some reason or not we don't see it. We are blocked, something unusual happens, we don't have the best angle. That happens to every umpire (even in MLB).

That's game management though calling what we thought we saw and selling the call. (IOW, we thought we got the call right, but we did not)

But to actually see a player that is safe called out - that's not game management IMO. That's a missed call. Surely you can get away with it by selling it etc., but that's taking the easy road.

At least that's my take.

Thanks
David