View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwump View Post
Guys please re-read this carefully, put yourself in the situation as described and tell me truthfully, honestly, what would be your call. I have clearly stated what mine would be. And IMHO its a no-brainer.

Mike C
Mike: truthfully, I think there are two, fairly disparate questions here.

1. What would I "see"; and
2. Do I call what I see, or what someone ["everyone"] else "sees"?

In the OP sitch, I believe I am likely to "see" an out: in general, if the ball is there and the glove is in place, sliding "past" the tag safely just does not happen, and I don't propose to get metaphysical about the number of air molecules between the runner and the tag.

But that IS NOT what the umpire in the OP "saw": he clearly saw the runner safe. I know I have had situations in which I was the only person in the park who knew what ACTUALLY happened on a play. I also know I am not good enough or smart enough to "get the play right" by making the wrong call [based on what I actually saw] intentionally. I always call what I see, when I see it.

But, recognise that any umpire will not always "see" every critical feature of every play: it is simply not possible to be in perfect position and observe perfectly EVERYTHING that is happening. THIS is where the dynamics of the "expected call" plays out with good umpires: if everyone in the park saw an out, and you did not see anything that conclusively PROVES [to you] that it was a "safe": you probably ought to go with "out", even if you are in some doubt. But when you are in NO doubt: call what you see; sell it if necessary, but it's one hell of a lot easier to defend the truth