View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 14, 2011, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I don't quite remember Freud having stated that he umpired Baseball but, thats probably a different Forum.

You can choose what ever words you like to justify your analysis of perception, reality, projection, art, science etc...etc, bottom line is, you are there to make a instantaneous decision of what you saw. Thats reality. And this is what an official should endeavor to base his development on.

I don't call 12-6 knee-high and crossed up pithches strikes unless they look like one. Most of the time they don't but, there have been occasions.

And yes, "needing to impress others" is directly related to how you are perceived and accepted by them. It may be the extreme case of perception that we are discussing here but, it is where one can end up if that is the path they choose.
As I understand what you're saying - on ball/strike you go with what is perceived to be a ball or a strike (you won't "reward" a crossed-up pitch as a strike unless its perceived by others ("looks like") a strike, even if it is a strike; but on safe/out you always go with reality (and would never give an "in the neighborhood" out) even if both teams and everyone in the park thinks you screwed the pooch. OK, it's a useful (but not particularly logical) distinction.

May I point out, however, that if you continue making calls that you know are correct, but everyone else thinks are wrong, you won't be considered as being honest and having integrity; you'll be considered as lacking judgment and being incompetent. Such is life.