View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 23, 2000, 07:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unhappy

I was doing a varsity tournament game on Tuesday. My partner and I had a call that all of us hope that never happens to us, but can. I thought it would never happen to me but it did.

I was the trail, my partner was the lead official. We had play were A1 drives to the basket and the defender B1 comes up to stop him. Just as the two players meet, I see the A1 push off and clear out the defender with is arm. Because of that action I am signaling a PC foul. My partner did not see the arm and called a block at practically the same time. Because both of us had signaled already, we come together and decide to go with the a double foul. Team A had the arrow so they get the ball, but Coach B gets really upset (which he should have been) and tells us you cannot have that and that is impossible according to the rules.

Having said all this, I want opinions here. According to the casebook ruling 4-19-7C (except the shot part) we did what we could according to the rule, but is that how you would have handled the situation or would you have done something else. I bring this up also because we did have a discussion about the importance in rules, and no matter what we did, it would not have been a good situation. The coaches did not like the situation, we did not like the situation, but it happen. I really do not feel there is a right and wrong situation but I would like opinions so I can see how you would handle it if it happen to you.