View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Call me a glutton...
Rut, with regard to the GI Bill. Your claim that everyone who uses the GI Bill joined the military for that purpose is not supported by reason.
I have not said you are wrong. I don't know. You have said this is a statistical fact, I haven't even claimed your wrong. I do maintain (opinion alert) that you shouldn't back something up as fact (rather than opinion) if you can't back it up. I did offer reasoning as to why I think you're wrong. You haven't even addressed the fact that people who stay beyond their initial enlistment cannot place education at the top of their priority list.

WRT the population distribution of the military. The only place I found anything above 30% was in reference to either African-American women, over 30% of women in the Army are African-American. Wait, I just found another. 36% of all military personnel in support and administrative roles are African-American. While their level of vulnerability is assuredly larger than my wife's, they're not going into combat. African-Amercians make up 15% of the infantry-type units. I suppose this is larger than the 12% figure you gave for the general population, but I question whether it is a large enough difference to make one upset. But, that's a judgment call.
As for reasons why the numbers are higher, I'll grant that one reason is likely (alert, the following is my opinion and not a statement of fact) along your reasoning. That for many, it is the only (or easiest) way to earn a decent living. I'm not sure that's it's a bad thing that the option is there. It's not a problem with the military, it's a problem with the economy in general.

I ask the question again. Why does the 20% figure bother you?

Adam