Thread: Detached glove?
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
I think it's pretty clear that Rule 2.00 CATCH makes a distinction between the fielder's glove and the fielder's uniform. As examples of parts of a uniform, the rule cites "cap, protector, pocket". I also think a common sense interpretation is that the glove is not part of the uniform. Also, 7.05 makes a clear distinction between using detached parts of the uniform (7.05(b) and (d)) and a detached glove (7.05(c) and (e)). See also comment to Rule 8.02(a)

Finally, Rule 3.15 does not allow players to be on the field unless they are "in uniform". If the uniform included the glove, players would always have to carry their glove while on the field, which they obviously are not required to do.

I'd say making a catch using a securely held glove in which the fielder has not inserted his fingers is still a catch and legal. The glove is not part of the "uniform" and has not been thrown.
I bet you'd lose the protest. It's the ball that has to be held securely (not stuck in the glove, held securely) . Hard to do if your fingers aren't in the glove. The throw-the-ball-stuck-in-the-glove play is only an out when the reveiving fielder holds the ball/glove combo securely in his hand or glove.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 08:44pm.