View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 1999, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I believe both individuals are at fault. First and fore-most, Coach Knight overstepped his bounds with Mr. Valentine. Did he deserve to get tossed? OH HELL YES! As a player I looked up to Coach Knight, as an Official, I look up to both Mr. Valentine and Mr. Hightower. Coach was wrong! Valentine although highly pressured, made the calls he had to make. The third T was excesssive in my opinion. However, his most grousome mistake was talking to the press. I lost alot of respect for him and Mr. O'neil because of their action and interview with Referee Magazine. The first rule of this business is to let go of any mistakes made on the floor however minor or major. The only person or persons that should have discussed this matter further should have been the crew, their commisioner and if necessary, the commissioner of the Big Ten. The press blew this out of proportion because it was Bob Knight and not some other coach. Reputations go far in in this case the press is the innevidable culprate in the underminning of a game I love to play, watch and officiate. In the end, they are the true villians who take the FUN out of athletics.