View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are we talking deep personal views?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

You might be right, but you won't prove it, even though you say it's fact. You offer one unverified statistic; that most use the GI Bill. Logical reasoning does not lead me to believe that everyone who uses the GI Bill joined just to pay for school. Every military member with dependents also gets a housing allowance, but I doubt you'd claim we got married (or had kids) just to get the housing allowance.
For crying out loud, just admit you misspoke and we can all move on. You made a decent point, that going willy-nilly into a war is not a good idea; and that people in the military don't generally want a war if it's not necessary. But it was drowned out by your insistence on holding to unverified claims of fact.

Adam

Now I am suppose to say I misspoke on an issue that I believe to be true. So you are telling me, I have to back off my statments because you cannot prove that they are wrong? So you are telling me that you cannot prove any information that I said was completely wrong, even thought you do not even seem to understand my point at all about percentages? I will state this so that you can educate yourself that the uses of the statistics for me is not really about the actual number. For me the statistics illustrate the disproportionate number of African-Americans or Blacks that join the military and cannot get those same opportunities elsewhere. So the fact that African-Americans have to join the military to get education for schooling and job training to even be considered for military and disproportionally have to be put in harms way for a war that they might not politically believe in. If you just look at the numbers that voted for President Bush and those the percentages that will vote for him in the next election, to go fight in a war does not believe you want to serve your country in this capacity. So if over 50 percent of a specific population is voting for a particular person, but being put in harms way on a higher percentage, I find something extreamely wrong with that. You can argue whether the percentage is 24% or 35%, the fact still remains to me something is out of wack.

But to come back to to the G.I. Bill issue, I still have not seen anyone that proves me wrong statistically. I wonder why you guys do not spend the same issue claiming that people officiating is about the "good ole boy network." I do not see anyone asking for proof or asking for a statistical breakdown. There are people that believe this to be totally true and I do not see the claims to prove that information. It is the case in our state and many other aspects of life, but I do not see you going all over the board claiming that someone "misspoke."

Peace