View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Perfect logic.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

I wan't the one to offer up a theory as to why people join the military.

I was only pointing out that your theory was using flawed reasoning.

OK, fair enough. But then to say I am wrong and offer no information that is specific, is extreamly flawed to me. If you are going to say I am wrong or my argument is flawed, I would expect some specific information suggesting that this is not true. Not just "you are wrong." You have to do better than that.

If I was to write a paper or thesis on this very issue and read some statistics, I cannot just say, "the author's position on this issue is wrong." I would have to give specifics or other studies that might contradict the original statement. I have read and have seen reports that suggested that over 50% of the military is involved in the G.I. Bill or other education services offered as a result of their enlistment. I can honestly tell you that I do not know the exact source it came from or when the report was taken. But to suggest that I am only wrong because it does not jive with your personal beliefs is very flawed. No one has really offered the reason they do join.

Peace
All I can say is that you haven't provided the facts. If I've made the claim that people join the military for other reasons rather than the educational opportunities, I am wrong to have done so. I will restate what I believe:

I have no idea why people join the militray.

I've done a little research on the web and posted what I found and that's where I am going to stop because I really don't have much interest in the subject nor the time to do extended research.

I don't doubt the military uses all means at its disposal to get people to join. It's kind of like recruiting for any major life event. Colleges will woo prospective athletes through any means available to them. I doubt the military is any different and the G.I. bill would seem like a major advantage to poorer people considering college.