View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Re: Re: Are we talking deep personal views?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
The problem what I have with your agrument, you come down to what the essence of what I am saying and have absolutely no way of confirming or denying my claim. You say you do not know, then say I am wrong and you "do not know." Then you say, "it could be 10% or it could be 50%." Then you say, "They joined to serve their country in a very meaningful and real way." You have statisical evidence for this claim? So you can say with a straight face, they joined the military for reasons to serve this country in a meaningful and real way? Why can they not join the military because they had very little options? Why could they have not joined the military because their parents were about to throw them out of the house? Please tell me, I would really like to know.

Peace [/B]
No, I don't have statistical evidence to back up my claim, any more than you do for yours. However, I'm not going to sit here and defend my statement as "statistical fact" as you have yours. My statement was more of an effort to point out that virtually no one joins "to go to war." There are countless options for why, and the list you gave is a good start. Those reasons are also good alternatives to your claim, that most join to pay for school.
You offered the claim, you stood by it as "statistical fact," I did not.
You might be right, but you won't prove it, even though you say it's fact. You offer one unverified statistic; that most use the GI Bill. Logical reasoning does not lead me to believe that everyone who uses the GI Bill joined just to pay for school. Every military member with dependents also gets a housing allowance, but I doubt you'd claim we got married (or had kids) just to get the housing allowance.
For crying out loud, just admit you misspoke and we can all move on. You made a decent point, that going willy-nilly into a war is not a good idea; and that people in the military don't generally want a war if it's not necessary. But it was drowned out by your insistence on holding to unverified claims of fact.

Adam