Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Perfect logic.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

An unsupported vague opinion is not fact.

You are absolutely correct. So all the information in opposition is exactly the same as my claim. Not one person has given me any information that it is not true. Not one person has given a statisitic. So it is also not true that people join the military service for God and Country, which appears what you are saying. Because what are the reasons they do join? Did they join because of September 11, 2001. Did they join because there parents were in the Military? Did they join for a sense of duty to the country? Did they join to avoid prosecution or terms of a probation? I have not heard you say why they join, you are just saying I am wrong. That makes sense.

Peace
This might take you a while Rut, it's got numbers in it.

http://www.defenselink.mil/execsec/adr97/appg.html

So here's the bottom line: the report looks at things that bring kids into the recruiter's office (education, career training, change of environement...etc) and things that push them out (fear of war, not wanting a regimented life, etc). But this quote tells us WHY THEY JOIN (ie the single most common factor for those who sign the papers). Not surprising, when you think about it.

Quote:
As other studies have shown, Joiners tend to have family members who are veterans; they tend to have extensive contact with people serving in the military. However, the majority of youth, regardless of propensity, have had some direct contact with others who have served or are serving in the military. YATS statistics show that more youth are influenced, either positively or negatively, by conversations with people who are, or have been, in military service, than by recruiters or advertising.
And BTW, my own experience tells me there is not a recruiter alive today who will talk to a kid who is in legal trouble. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.