View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 1999, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I also read the article in Referee Magazine about Ted Valentine. I also have woirked with Hightower and O'Neal. They are both good officials and wouldn't worry about [protecting their schedule. They both can work anyplace. The big thing was that Mr. valentine needs to understand that the game ios for the kids and that the official is there to make sure that the games is played fairly and that most games that you never remember the officials are the best games played. Try not to have confrontations with coaches and just get the job done. I never had the opportunity to work with Mr. valentine butn the games that I have observed him in it seemed that there always was some problem during the game. Mr. Valentine is a good official as his schedule must dictate but even the great Irv Brown said that officials should be seen but not heard. What he meant was that, there are ways to talk to coaches and there are ways to handle them as well. I have worked Coach Knight quite a few times in the tourney where it meant something and just didin't alabi when he asked me something. If I didin't know the answer, I just said that I didn't know. Well, I'm just rambling but the main thing is that Hightower and O'Neal are good officials and so is Valentine. No body got hung out to dry. Sometimes, an official digs his own grave.