View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I know my opinion prolly doesn't matter much in all these mess of opinions and thoughts but I'm sharing it anyway.

I can see everyone's point. From Player Control, to Block to No call and realize that even in slow motion replay and having watched it 10 times we all can have different opinions.

Although there is no way to prove my theory, but I believe that had the defender stood in there playing "solid" defense and tried to stay on his feet this would have been a no call situation with the offensive player scoring the basket with "marginal" contact.

To me this play comes down to so many other things than a simple block/charge call. It funnels down to my personal philosophy of officiating basketball. I believe in being as consistent as possible as a crew and as an individual. Things that have occurred prior in this game have set a precedence and thus I feel the right call would be that which has matched previous calls.

In this situation I believe that the defender had established LGP. As per rule 4 under "guarding" the defender has the right to "turn or duck to absorb shock when contact by the dribbler is imminent." But it doesn't address how we handle a play where the defender falls down prior to contact or with very limited contact. Only under rule 10 does it give us an application of how to deal with one who fakes being fouled. I'd be hesitant to declare that this defender faked being fouled because I honestly believe that he fell only when he felt contact (even though it may have been very slight contact).

In short I think the play can be validated either way you look at it. I agree with prior posts that with two apposing players going to the floor they've made the decision for you that a whistle needs to accompany the play, so I don't think a no call is an sagacious option even tho I do feel that the contact (if any) was slight. Either call block or charge is going to be questioned.