View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 28, 1999, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Question

MSOA:
You were at the game?
How does an official show up a coach?

If Bobby 'Good-Knight' was not the jerk he is then none of this would be discussed 2 years after the game.
He may know his Xs and Os, but time and again people leave his program because of the abuse he heaps upon them. His coaching is reflected in how he treats officials. No one is exempt, he hates everyone.
His interview last year where he said that officials should have background checks to ensure that they are not throwing games is another instance of how messed up he is.
How many times in your games have you had a player injured and the coach while walking to his player will take the opportunity to yell at the official. If the official reacts, then the fans think that he is picking on the coach. Most of the time I tell the coach to take care of his player and keep the technical in my pocket for use at a later time. When the coach asks what he said I tell him that during the last injury timeout he stepped over the line.
In this month's REFEREE magazine John Wooden said that in 40 years of coaching he had two (2) (dod) technical fouls. He was a gentleman on the court and realized that the players won the games and that no matter what he did the officials were not going to change their minds. So, he let them do their job, and he did his.