View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 08:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What a great topic.

I think you need to find a place in the middle. I say from being the weak partner earlier in my career. Most of the time now, I end up having the weak partner.

There are some things to not do. Do not show up your partner, make him look stupid our do something that forces him to look like he's not sure where/what to do next.

When switching on fouls he calls, I suggest hustling in and forcing the switch. You can usually get the ball and be in a position to "remind" him where the throw-in is if he is to administer, or "remind" him where to go if you're going to administer. If he's T table side, perhaps you'll have to let that one go with him reporting and administering if it's a defensive foul and his mechanics are quick to the table.

For stuff you call, you can also be more patient and a bit slower when identifying where the throw-in is. You could use a phrase like "John, I'll take the throw-in on the endline," after you've done the usual spot of foul mechanics.

As for being rooted as T, remind him during a TO to move down a bit. I recently worked at a trainig session for first/second year officials and one woman needed to come down lower as T. I suggested she come right down to the foul line extended and don't worry if she gets beat down the court. In fact, I wanted her to get beat down the court. It's only once out of 60 times in that one game, but then she'd better know how far to come down.

Be s trong T when working with a weak official. I get this situation alot in men's leagues and will have a whistle after my P because I have a foul that caused a travel and my P sees the travel.

Mike