View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE View Post
I agree with you Dakota, but would add that I would think there has to be some sort of cultural training, especially in this day. Back when I was a Paramedic I got the chance to work the 1987 Pan Am games in Indy. Before any of us were assigned our first venue we had to go through a short culture class. It was not extensive at all but covered some things like making the "OK" sign is not acceptable in many countries and several it is actually an offensive sign.
I would think with today's much higher awareness of cultural differences that in an international event these differences would be covered at some point. As far as the ISF, I would think it would be part of training, but do not know this.
Well, guess I'm gonna be the insensitive guy, but I'm a believer of when in Rome, I will do what the Romans do. IMO, it is up to the people visiting an area to adjust, not those who live there, to that culture.