Thread: Make the call
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronald
ASA talking:

I may not have paid enough attention in class but I thought I heard that if a runner touches a base and then goes back past that base (touching or not touching it) that he/she had lost that base. If I paid attention correctly, would that apply here or did I get not pay close enough attention?

If R1 lost it, then I'd go with 2 outs and no int. If she did not loses it, then i have to judge whether the going back towards third was int and rule accordingly. A run would count regardless of int or not. If I have int, then out at second, run scores and 2 outs.

I wish the sit had more info so we could get a clearer idea of what led the defense to throw home. was offense yelling, get back to third, defense screaming throw home, etc. That helps to make the correct call. This type of wording should be in some of the plays imho.
Ronald,

Thinking the same way I was, but that only applies when a runner reverses direction and for some reason passes the base to which they are forced, the force is reinstated. Or, after touching home plate, attempts to return to retouch 3B which was left too soon on a caught fly ball or missed enroute to score fails to retouch home on the way would be subject to a missed base appeal at the plate.

Though I don't like it, the run would score. The reason I don't like it is that if you are going to allow the runner who has crossed the plate to remain active for the purpose of returning to keep from being put out on appeal, why wouldn't you do the same to the runner who intentionally reintroduces themselves into a live ball scenario? It certainly isn't the defense's fault that this runner with the aid of a coach (and probably half the dugout) couldn't figure out which way to go.

JMHO,