View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It seemed like a very legit question to me.
(roll eyes) You think it is legitimate to ask me to answer for a MLB executive? Amazing.

Quote:
For awhile, you've regaled us about how quality umpires at the top levels are doing away with the expected call (which I do tend to agree with) and are now just "getting it right" which means by the book. Yet, here's an example of a strike by the clear wording of the book, yet umpires almost always call it a ball and have their evulations retoractively corrected to account for this by the powers that be...and everyone in the sport seems okay with this. Is this a case of the umpires putting their rating ahead of the game for their personal gratification as you put it?
Yes. The WUA demanded the concession.

No, not everyone in the sport is 'okay with this'. A number of pitching coaches, catchers and pitchers have spoken out regarding the strike that isn't called.

Quote:
I think we as an officiating community are doing away with "expected" calls in all sports not only due to instant replay...as you pointed out, we've had replay for a while now. I think it's largely being done away with because replay technology has improved immensely in the past decade. There are many more replay angles that weren't available in the past. We have HD largely available for most sports fans. We also have almost every game available on TV somewhere...unlike before where you'd only have the "Game of the Week" shown on TV. That means all 162 games by a team in MLB, 82 in the NBA and NHL, and 16 in the NFL are being scrutinized by the average Joe unlike yesteryear.
Thanks for agreeing.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Thu Jul 21, 2011 at 09:14am.