Thread: R1 Interference
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 16, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Five years of baseball and I've seen it once.

I've always wondered, and this is a good place to ask, how different are the playing rules between levels (Youth, Fed, NCAA, Professional) for other sports? When I glance at other rule quizzes in Referee, it always says something to the effect of "Give answer for [several] rule codes."
Yeah, depending on level, it is somewhere between uncommon and rare. When it happens on the MLB level it seems to invariably bring about a discussion in the booth that the part of the rule that gives the batter credit for a hit should be changed...."a pitcher is going to lose a no-hitter one day because of that and then won't they be sorry it was written that way".

Doesn't it make sense that the "framers intent" was to have 99% of the cases result in the runner called out even if in many cases the batter would have had a hit? .... to the degree that the batter gets a "book rule" single?**Otherwise it would have made more sense to call it a FC with the put-out going to the nearest fielder.

** I think it was Nemec's book that explained how a cagey player for the Reds(?) maybe as recently as the mid-50's would simply field a grounder at R2 to prevent a 6-4-3 DP. So they had to change that part to rule the B/R out if it was intentional on the part of the runner.